Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Video Games That Affected Your Taste

So, we all have them and we all use them, (Metaphorically speaking, dear God why would you actually put a video game in your mouth?)if you're wondering about what I'm talking about and why I added a side comment? I'm talking about our tastes of course. I'm a curious fella and I always like to know more about people in general, so I've decided to introduce this question/topic. What are the top 5 games from your childhood and teenage years that generally affect your taste in video games? I'll start it off with my top 5 as for an example, none of these are in a specific order, they're just listed. 

1. Sly Cooper- If there's anything that affected my childhood it's this game. It's one of the first games I ever picked up, I still remember me and my parents shopping at Walmart and them eventually buying this for me. I can say besides one other game this is almost everything that I expect to be in an Action Adventure game. Even when playing other Action Adventure games of the time I compared them to Sly Cooper. 

2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance- (Sorta kinda for its predecessor X-Men Legends) Diablo fans please don't kill me but when playing a Dungeon Crawler this is sorta what I expect in those type of games, minus large rosters. This game is also responsible for my introduction to deeper comic book mythos. I look at newer Marvel games and because of MUA I expect the games to have an original story that is actually a lot of fun to be in, I expect the characters to be treated with respect and care, and I definitely expect a good roster. (Sadly these standards are too high sometimes.)     

3. Star Wars: Battlefront 2- Well any great Star Wars game could fit on my favorites list but this one is my introduction to the FPS genre besides Medial of Honor Frontlines. Not particularly affects my taste a whole lot cause there are better shooters out there like Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Halo. This game affects my expectations on how a game can last in replayability and how much sheer fun you can have in a video game. I mean who doesn't want to take the wars and battles you'd have with your Star Wars action figures and play them out in a video game. 

4. Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords- (Yes I know, another Star Wars game) This game is what I compare other games' stories. To me, in my opinion, was what defines a good story in a video game or outside of video games. Besides its story I will say besides Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim is how I expect RPG's to be handled. 

5. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun- For some reason this game really affects my choices in RTS's. I can say that besides Empire at War and Total War Rome I can look at other RTS's in-game mechanics and go oh it's just like Command and Conquer. This is also the first game where it dawned on me that you aren't always playing the good guy.

1. Sonic the hedgehog and ratchet and clank and Scooby-Doo Night of 100 frights and murder mystery: I know this more then one game, but they pretty much had the same impact on my early view on video games, interactive cartoons where you platform. Also the fact these are the only games from my child hood I still play today (though I still have postman part, Casper and all those other games somewhere for nostalgic reasons.)

2. Kingdom Hearts: Specifically Kingdom hearts 2, as that was the only one I had as a child. It was my first proper introduction in the JRPG scene, not at first though, as it took Pokemon conquest, some not non-Americanised anime, and a young teenager brain to realise that it was something different to the games I had been playing up until then, but still. It also introduced me to the fact attacking a lot of weaker enemies was just as much fun as battling a group of stronger enemies.

3. Skylanders: I know this may seem like a weird one, by skylanders marks the point where gaming turned from a casual past time into a full blown hobby and form a majority of my entertainment. I was I my collection pages, collecting everything from shells, to forge in money, to piggybanks, to trash pack (I... Don't want to talk about that one >.>) And then, along came Skylanders. It was also the first game I played above easy, not because I thought easy was too boring yet, but because I was curious, and that's when I figured out the little bit of extra challenge a little extra fun.

4. Fable: Like the concept It's based on, this series led me on Both a lighter and darker path, it introduced me to choice and morals affecting a video game as well as the M+ ratings, it made me feel good as a younger person that my mum trusted me to play those types of games, and of course both led me to some of some of my other fraviote series.

5. Hollow knight, Hatoful boyfriend, Spider-Man PS4, Elder Scrolls: Reccent titles, but ones with an apithiny behind them. Until these games, games were still just, games, entertainment, etc. But these three showed me a game didn't have to be just a gameplay and a story, but that a game could also be an experience. That they can make you feel different then normal.
[Image: Darkdata.png]

Yuuka Kazami:Des is like that one meme like... "How many levels of Omniverse are you on?"

Revan Noctis : Desman what are you currently doing in the omniverse?
Desman Black: I'm faking an engagement to a sex deamon to stop two samurai I accidently summoned whipping them in half, while also trying to stop them from doing the same thing to my best freind who is currently having relations with said deamon, and wh has now accidently summoned his previous girlfreind. So you know... normal stuff

I don't actually havea a childhood worth of games to fall back on here, one of my first experience with games was back in the gameboy color era. I purchased Red - like everyone else I guess - and a LoZ game, Seasons I believe. I think the next time I even got a game that was personally for me, was the Game Cube. Since I don't have a massive collection of games like I think most people here do, I'll just base this top 5 on the games that have impacted my view on them.

COUNTING DOWN!

5 - Gallica:
We going back to oldschool playstation with this one, before there was a two! My brother got a PS for Christmas because he just had to have one, but really it was my dad's consol. He had that old NAMCO collection, with a bunch of demo games. Including Crash, - which I freakin' dominated! - Pac-Man, Gecko-thingie haunted mansion, and Gallica. I remember my dad spending but a few hours on this thing at a time, but it was his favorite game. Years later I found it in a laundry mat and dropped like 20.00 USD in quarters to keep playing. It taught me that even simple things can be beyond fun. Espeically with friends and family around you.

4 - Beyblade/Sonic:
Remember that GameCube? =P
When I went to the store for the first time looking for a game of my own it was to go buy Beyblade - a game made and purchased off the pure hype of an anime I was devoted to, back in my early/mid highschool life. Oh... Oh younger me... The game was, okay. Didn't make me feel like the bad-ass that I hoped it would, and frankly probably wasn't worth the Christmas money. I included Sonic in this, because I got the collection. But the lesson I took from all this is that hype doesn't mean good. Sure Sonic's full of classic games that I liked playing, but it landed in the same pile of things I never touched again.

3 - Spyro - Enter the Dragonfly:
Are you ready to explore the first game I ever actually finished? Included in that stack of Christmas money spent games was this guy. I will admit, purchased this because I didn't really know that it wasn't the one that I had seen someone playing a demo of on the PS. So I hated it at first... The story was pretty alright in comparison. A bad guy comes in and steals all the dragonflies - I think - and you have to go collect them. Typical style of game for that era. I assumed that you had to collect everything before you got to the end boss. I was wrong. Thankfully. Because by the time I was through with that thing I wanted to toss it! xD But its an accomplishment, and that felt good.

2 - Fallout(3+New Vegas):
Shit gets freaking dark in Fallout. Up until these games, I didn't understand the fear of kids being exposed to anything. Generally that typing is reserved for fighting and shooting games. Not that Fallout isn't a shootin game, but people don't think about shooting when it comes up. First thing that comes to my mind is a vualt. Secondly, how dark those vualts get. And thirdy, how cool the setting is!! This game showed me that not all games are just cartoony and playful. While there are a lot of jokes and gags, this game touches on serious topics all the time. From glowing ghoul attacks to fucked up experimentations, to factions fighting for the right over the dead landscape... I've watched Kaleigh play through Snake and other games as well since then, so I've beened exposed to more and more serious games since. Gotta say, they are one of my favorites.
Just remember, its not the Gears of War and Call of Duty your kids need to be sheltered from, its fucking Fallout and RPGs that will fuck with your kids education...

1 - Undertale/Delta Rune:
Where Fallout proved that games can serious, gritty, and cynical, Undertale taught me the other spectrum. Its light, it fluffy, its colorful, and its fucking deep!! Delta Rune only builds on this, Toby Fox is a master craftsman. I cried. I am a sucker for mushy things like love, heartfelt emotions, and straight up sadness. And god damn it. These games taught me that not all games are the same. Not all have the power to overwhelm you and every turn show you something you both want and don't want to see. This game taught me standards of the highest points.
Forget Fallout, don't let your kids play anything made by Toby Fox, he will show them what love and heartbreak is!! THEY TOO YOUNG!!
[Image: source.gif]
"Centurion: I'll leave you to your work then Dust. Thanks for chatting!
Me: no problem. stay awesome!
Centurion: It's more of a passive ability"

Halo
I couldn’t forget when I first played Halo. It opened up my imagination to so many things.

Battlefront 2 
I too enjoyed joining my favourite armies and going to war against the enemy factions. Playing with friends and trying new tricks to win maps in new ways.

Total War
My favourite foray into the strategy genre. I want to restore Rome even now!

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
What’s better than playing through the movie? Using a magical fire bow and mowing down hundreds of orcs even when you don’t even need to.

Dino Crysis
While everyone else was fighting Zombies I was running from Dinosaurs and I don’t regret it at all. Nothing like a Dinosaur attack to get your heart racing.