Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omniverse Writing Guide: How to Write a Good Story

So if you’re reading this it's probably because this one the only things on in the Cbox that wasn’t a vote. Otherwise, the title may have intrigued you, maybe even made you want to say what does MK have to say about creating a story. Other reasons might be that you like the material I create, that my writing is good and that you trust in me to at least attempt and deliver you something of worth. The only other reason why you’d be reading this thread is that you’re just a curious person and wanted to check it out. 

Anyways this is how (at least in my opinion.) to tell a good story. Now to be honest and for this to be a disclaimer,  I am not a published author, I mean, I wish I was but the reality is that storytelling and writing, in general, is a long, laborious, and hard project. It takes time to create something worth publishing and even harder to create something that you feel is worth sharing to the real world and letting the reader see it. Now, this might feel like a discouragement but it’s not. No writing, though all those things I just said above, is fun. Truly it is, as long as you’re writing what you feel is right and what you like. If you’re not finding that writing is fun or that you like it, then it’s probably not for you but of course, if you’re reading this, it’s because somehow you do love to write. 

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, we can begin our journey in what’s my opinion the art of storytelling. I’ll start with what should be the first thing that you should be thinking and working on while making a story, that is the protagonist or in traditional stories the hero.

Making The Hero

Alright so trust me all that I’m going to say here is gonna go somewhere. So let's say about a little bit more than fifteen years ago, I would be a child sitting in my room watching Return of The Jedi for the one-thousandth time. Now as a child this movie along with the rest of the Star Wars films would be the beginning of my love for the franchise but here I am as a fellow Omniversian and writer rambling on about a movie instead of getting to the point. Well here’s the point, ask yourself where in that film would be Luke Skywalker’s most memorable defining moment? If you’re thinking to yourself the duel on Death Star II, then you’re correct. Do you know why? Because near the end of the duel Luke is tempted to kill his father in and even managing to cut off his arm just like in the previous film but Luke stops there, he stops there because killing his father isn’t the right thing to do. In Star Wars the act of revenge is looked at as something that leads to the Dark Side, which is why Luke stops himself from killing Vader. No revenge isn’t even what Luke is looking for, what he’s looking for is retribution, to save his father and redeem him. There’s a duality between both Light and Dark Side, that being good or bad. If Luke killed his father instead of redeeming him the conflict would have been made for nothing. It’s also key when making a character to make sure that they fit inside the story that you’re trying to represent otherwise it may feel jarring to the reader.  You see these traits are but many that a hero should need. Here I’ll give you two more examples. 

[Image: G6v9JQ.gif]

How about another Star Wars example, shall we? After defeating Darth Vader Starkiller is tempted by the Emperor to kill his apprentice and take his place. Angered by the Emperor’s words Ram Kota snatches Palpatine’s lightsaber and attempts to try and strike him down. Unable to Kota is blasted by a torrent of force lighting and repeatedly done so. Bail Organa shouts at Starkiller to save him and the young man is stricken with two choices. The first one being that if he destroyed Darth Vader he’ll get the revenge he wants and also gain everything he's ever wanted by joining the Emperor’s side but in result his mentor and the rest of the rebellion, and his lover would die while also leaving millions to suffer at the hands of the Empire. Starkiller’s second choice is simply to face the Emperor and save his mentor. 

Can you guess what option a hero of a story would choose? If you said the second option then you’re correct. Starkiller not only faces the Emperor and saves the others but he also pays the ultimate price, he sacrifices himself for the greater good. He dies to save the rebellion and in return, the Rebellion will fight the Empire and eventually save millions of people in the galaxy from tyranny. The greatest trait Starkiller showed was inner conflict and self-sacrifice. Without the hero sacrificing he or she’s self and instead were cowardly or choose not to help so and so then they wouldn’t be considered a hero, would they? 
[Image: giphy.gif]

A hero must also have inner conflict and problems with themselves and no I don’t mean they should have the problem of being too attractive or maybe something silly like being clumsy. Flaws a character and specifically a hero should have should almost be debilitating to them. Maybe they’re a substance abuser, maybe the hero or main character started out as the bad guy or someone you wouldn’t consider to be all that great. Maybe they started out cowardly but eventually overcame their fear. Without character flaws, your story could end up being unrealistic to the point where it doesn’t relate to your audience or you end up unintentionally making your story boring cause your main character is to perfect and not relatable. These are good things to remember while writing, if only because you want your story to have good results. Now to our last example.                

Gotham City is at the brink of chaos, a nuclear bomb had created an EMP that took out half the continent's power supply leaving thousands of people in the dark. Without power, the city’s police can’t properly respond allowing crime and anarchy to run unchecked. This event results in a mass gathering of gang formally known as the mutants now calling themselves the Sons of Batman rally up outside the city in preparation to help stop the crime even if it means killing innocents. Before they can start, However, Batman and Robin ride in on horseback stopping the gang before their march into the city. In this very moment, Batman snatches a gun from a member and then proceeds to break it saying that these are the weapons of the enemy. What he states goes in line with Batman’s number one rules, no killing. This one rule shows that Batman has the courage to face down crime and chaos unarmed with only his skill, a challenge that most people wouldn’t take. This in response makes Batman a hero in the story because if Batman killed wouldn’t he be putting himself in the place of the same people that he fights to stop. Why not give out second chances and push for the betterment of someone. Wouldn’t it be interesting while reading to witness someone turn from bad to good? With that my examples are concluded, if I were you I’d reflect on what was said and see if there was some way to apply this into writing. 

[Image: guns01.jpg?w=980&q=75]

In my next post on this thread, I’ll be focusing on setting and scene-craft and until then it’s your fellow Moon Knight signing off.