Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Quest] The Avengers: A Light in the Darkness

An ominous mist embraced the blonde heroine as she stepped through yet another portal. Clad in her spandex best, the Avenger was happy to be out of the Nexus again, and even more so to be out of that confusing bar-brawl in Coruscant. Hero work was many things, but one thing it was not was a bar-brawl. 

As she traveled the beaten path, an eerie fog blotted not only the horizon, but the space ten feet in front of Ms. Marvel. Howling sounds of the wind, or wolves, or both stalked her; just when she thought the howling was gone it would start up again. She could feel eyes watching her, piercing the veil of fog, studying her every movement. More sounds: leaves crunching and rustling, tree branches snapping. Something was out there.

Who’s there?!

That’s something a victim would say. Carol Danvers was no victim. Carol Danvers was a hero. Instead she said, “Come on out of there. I know you’re there.” When silence responded she pressed again, “Are you friend or foe? I hope its friend.” Shoulders back and chest out, she grinned, “For your sake.”
[Image: msmarvel3-by-carolgfx-d8dnbde.png]

Beneath an eternal blanket of darkness, not unlike that of Darkshire’s own namesake, and beyond the perpetual fog that blotted the horizon, deeper further into the cursed and dying lands of the Pale Moors, a nefarious would-be-queen rallies her court for conquest. Surrounded by all manner of things that go bump in the night, her voice is loud and booming, so that it may speak to a vast many, a diverse horde of fiendish ghouls that hang on her every word.

“Children of the grave, of the moon, and of all things wretched, heed my call!” the demonic queen commanded from atop her dreary palace balcony. “I’d rather fight with you than that of any army of man! Let no human ever forget how menacing we are! We are their nightmares, we are their monsters!”

The host of horrors erupted in a terrifying ruckus, approving of their wicked queen, and only silencing when she beckoned them to. The Queen of the Damned extended her arm, pointing her finger towards the general direction of Darkshire. “Do you know what lays just over there? Waiting, beyond that ridge, beyond the swamp? Its destiny!!! Take it!!! It belongs to the night!!!” 

The fiendish army cheered so menacingly in response, even the bravest of men would have felt their heart quicken. Their queen called for their silence with a motion of her hand and took a pause to revel in the moment. The ghoulish host had come along way from its inception and was now only a climax away from bringing the queen’s aspirations into fruition.

“I have not always been the Queen of the Damned and my people have not always been forsaken.” The undead sorceress surveyed the faces of her subjects, reflecting on the pilgrimage it took to recruit each and everyone of them. “Long ago this land comprised the settlements of Dalaran and Minas Tirith, ruled by the infamous King Aragorn.” The demonic queen gritted her teeth through pursed lips. “Aragorn,” she seethed, “even saying his name makes my blood boil. This false king, Aragorn, is a coward and a traitor, nothing more.”

‘Kill the traitor!’, ‘gut the traitor!’, and ‘flay him alive’ could all be discerned from the roars of the horde as their queen rallied their malevolent spirit. Putrid, vile, and psychotic, the abomination that was her army was a blight on the civilized society of the Moors.  

“After the Black Gate opened,” she continued, “Aragorn withdrew his armies, leaving Diablo to scar this land and every living creature in it. My own death came at the expense of Aragorn’s cowardice. Reborn, I will never forgive him! We, The Damned, will never forgive him!!!” 

‘Kill the human king.’, ‘Eat his children!’, and ‘Destroy ALL HUMANS!!!’ they cried. Monster, beast, and undead alike, all united in their hatred, and all under one banner: The Queen of the Damned, Hellvania Stormcaller. 

“The people who called this land their home in life,” the queen continued, “do so now in death, but the Kingdom, the Kingdom does not recognize our rights!” Hellvania was shouting as she slipped the balcony ledge and left her council behind, descending several stories to her army below. Rising from her knee and the slight crater it caused, the wicked queen addressed her forces, face to face. “Darkshire shuns us,” the queen declared as she strolled through their ranks, “and by us, I mean all of us!” She took her time, personally inspecting each enlisted horror as she went. 

“It matters not if you’re undead, lycan, or of any ghoulish nature. They shun us all the same. Their claim on this land is an attempt to invalidate our very existence! The forsaken and the damned ARE this land! Together, Darkshire’s existence is a disgrace to us all! I will not tolerate their insolence! The Pale Moors belongs to the night!! Always and FOREVER!!!"  

An eruption of ghoulish cheer from their ranks boomed so loud it shook the valley they occupied. “On the eve of tomorrow,” the queen shrieked above their roars, “we march onto Darkshire, onto victory, onto immortality!!!”
[Image: msmarvel3-by-carolgfx-d8dnbde.png]