Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Club(May-2019)

As you can tell were trying another method here. Unfortunately the community is a tad small for monthly accolades  to continue, so we are focusing on the Book Club - at least for another month.

Welcome to the Omniverse Book Club! Here, we put up the month's 'best' story up for review. By participating you'll earn a bonus 300 OM (subject to change). Aside from the helpful feedback, subjects of the book club will receive a Great, Excellent, or Exemplary bonus for their storyline if they qualify. Omni

RULES

OOC Rules of Conduct apply.

We encourage helpful, well-considered feedback with both positive and negative comments. Try to remember that not everyone is confident about their writing, and negative feedback can be highly discouraging.

Review Writing Guidelines

Reviews must be a minimum of 150 words and should include your opinion on whether the participating member(s) deserve a bonus or not, and if yes, then 'Great' or 'Exemplary', according to the Bonus Rewards Guidelines. Please don't consider this an arbitrary number to fill; this just filters out those reviews that were clearly made with no effort.

Topics may include writing from multiple members. Please try to give everyone included a decent review and individual grade.

Try to go into detail about what you liked and didn't like about an RP. Try to keep it objective and positive: it's absolutely not okay to just tear down someone else's work without saying anything good about it. The more detail the better, and the more effort you put into your reviews the more likely we are to choose one of your topics to review, as thanks for your help to other members.

Please do not skim. If we suspect people are skimming topics, we may have to be more stringent on requirements, which makes it harder on staff to enforce, and more difficult for you to write your review. If we suspect particular members are skimming, we may bar them from future participation in the book club. This is free OM, so it's in everyone's best interest to keep it that way.

As far as grading goes, please be non-partisan. If you think your friend's topic truly merits Exemplary, awesome. But if we notice people constantly doing this and we consistently disagree with the gradings, we'll weigh your opinion far less than those who tend to give accurate gradings consistent with the Bonus Rewards Guidelines.

REWARDS

Book Club rewards will be awarded at the end of the month, although it might take a while to get updated. Until you see a post in this topic saying "It was updated", it's safe to say you weren't missed or forgotten; we just haven't gotten around to it yet. No need to remind us. :)

We will give the reward to the account you posted on unless you request otherwise.

Those trying to become judges should note that Book Club reviews do count towards your total.

UPDATE: Book Club will now be running the length of a month. This will be the last story that was voted by the public in the accolades until further notices. We will hand pick or randomly pick a story for next month, but only if this performs well. We also understand that not all voted for favorites are completed and just ask that you make a note of which post you stopped on during your review.

THIS MONTH'S STORY

April 20, 2018; Community Star Winner: Koal and Dust; Guest Star: Moon Knight
Thread: Lines Blur Between Beast and Men
[Image: source.gif]
"Centurion: I'll leave you to your work then Dust. Thanks for chatting!
Me: no problem. stay awesome!
Centurion: It's more of a passive ability"

Friendly reminder, this closes on the 31st!!

Friendly werewolf bump.

I assumed by ye olde strikethrough, I didn't need to review Koal. So I didn't.

Dust:
Overall, I really liked Dust's characterisation. He felt real and consistent throughout all of the thread and apart from a few areas where sentances didn't flow very smoothly, it was very good. The prison felt like a real prison and you characterised everyone inside of it very well. My only real gripe would be the spacing but that's more of an aesthetic choice than anything else. There are certain areas where I don't want to go into real depth due to 'reasons', but that probably means you did it well. As you said yourself somewhere, combat isn't your strong point and so it was likely a good descision to focus on details a lot later on in the thread.

MK:
I liked your posts. They felt short and sharp, which represented the imperials well. I respect the fact that despite most people likely not knowing specifically what certain things were, you decided to not have them explain what they were as it would make them seem a bit less professional than they should be.
My armour is steel.
My shield is logic.
My weapon is faith.

By the Omnissiah I will let none survive.

Lines Blur Between Beast and Men, By Dust (Feat. Koal and Moon Knight)

Mechanics: To be brutally honest I didn't catch anything out the ordinary except for maybe a misspelled word. There were a couple of good times where there might have been to much detail in sentences but hey sometimes that's a flavor thing. Personally, I like to find a middle ground where there's a good bit of detail to make a beautiful scene but also leave enough room where the reader can apply their imagination. 

Plot/Pacing: The plot is fairly solid from a standpoint. I really wish there was more Koal in the story but alas life had got busy for him and he needed to step down for a bit. There however a few instances where I was saying to myself, when will this scene end. There were, however, a few times where you created some really awesome and cool scenes, such as an example Dust fighting the B1 and B2 Battledroids. 

Characterization: All of your characters have been pretty decent, I do really like Allen and started to enjoy Yoi when he started to lighten up a bit. There were a few characters like the two girls used to kiss Dust that I felt at times dragged the story along a bit though I do understand that they were purely used to help explain how Dust can use his powers how Dust will be able to use his powers in the coming experiments. 

Aesthetic/Creativity: Looks pretty creative to me, Jokes aside the characters all have a good personality in the creative stance and Dust in on itself with his unique way of becoming a werewolf is pretty creative. Also, I can say it was a creative surprise that you used actual droids from Star Wars canon to fight Dust (Props for going all the way with Star Wars stuff).

Final Comments:  It's a pretty solid read,  I wouldn't suggest it as a must read Dust story but it really does help expand his lore and set up for some really cool ideas that will be used in later plotting. Anyways keep up the hard work and keep on writing, this thread has a long ways to go and I know that it will have a pretty solid conclusion. How do you ask well because I know you're a good writer, you just need a bit more self-confidence in your abilities. 

Your Friend, Samuel Collins.       
[Image: 43ud92cdixm01.png]

CLOSED!!

Thanks for your participation, guys. Due to the length of the thread, we are rewarding each participant a negotiated 400 OM this round.

15457.93 + 400 = 15857.93
5334.35 + 400 = 5734.35

Your OM will be updated shortly.