Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Age Book Club: Summer - July - 2019

Welcome to the Book Club here on the Omniverse!!

It's a new staff, new year, new situations. So why not New Book Club? After some trial and error, I've tossed out yet another attempt. I'm going rogue!!
Please don't tell Daniel...

RULES!!

In addition to the usual OoC Rules of Conduct, we encourage helpful, well-considered, constructive feedback with both positive and negative comments. Please try to remember that not everyone is confident about their writing, and overly negative feedback is highly discouraged. What we are looking for are patient people who can look at a piece objectively but with a delicate and tactful touch to their criticism. Anyone who is found excessively ruthless in their commentary will find themselves unable to participate.

If we have picked a piece that you participated in as well, you are allowed and encouraged to join in on the activities as long as there are more members involved than just yourself. This is because self-criticism does not count toward the 150 minimum words as covered by the guidelines(See below).

Review Writing Guidelines

Reviews must be a minimum of 150 words and should include your opinion on whether the participating member(s) deserve a bonus or not, and if yes, then 'Good', 'Great', or 'Exemplary', according to the Bonus Rewards Guidelines. Please don't consider this an arbitrary number to fill; this just filters out those reviews that were clearly made with no effort.

Topics may include writing from multiple members. Please try to give everyone included a decent review and an individual grade.

Try to go into detail about what you liked and didn't like about an RP. Try to keep it objective and positive: it's absolutely not okay to just tear down someone else's work without saying anything good about it. The more detail the better, and the more effort you put into your reviews the more likely we are to choose one of your topics to review, as thanks for your help to other members.

Please do not skim. If we suspect people are skimming topics, we may have to be more stringent on requirements, which makes it harder for staff to enforce, and more difficult for you to write your review. If we suspect particular members are skimming, we may bar them from future participation in the book club. This is free OM, so it's in everyone's best interest to keep it that way.

As far as grading goes, please be non-partisan. If you think your friend's topic truly merits Exemplary, awesome. But if we notice people constantly doing this and we consistently disagree with the gradings, we'll weigh your opinion far less than those who tend to give accurate gradings consistent with the Bonus Rewards Guidelines.

Book Club Material

How we will be choosing the new submissions will vary on activity among the current members. Know that we are searching the entire Omniverse, new and old work alike, for a variety of stories. Our agents are watching the accolades, recent stories, and reaching into the achieves for possible threads.

We are not just looking for the best stories that the site can provide us with, as writers we should hone our ability to give feedback in a professional and personal way. By doing so we can offer our voices and experience to those around us, and give an example of what kind of criticism we'd like in return for a later date.

If anyone has any stories they'd like to offer for future book clubs, please PM Dust or Moon Knight with these suggestions.

REWARDS

By participating you will earn Bonus OM, naturally.

200 or 300 OM will be rewarded for the Short Story of the month, depending on the size of the thread. Threads that belong to this category can be anywhere from 3,000 words to 10,000 words or less.

350 or 450 OM will be rewarded for the Novella of the month, depending on the size of the thread. Threads that belong to this category can be anywhere between 10,000 words to 30,000 words.

500 OM will be rewarded for the Seasonal story. This reward can only be claimed one of the three months the story will be featured. This category can be 40,000 plus words with no upper cap.

As a completely voluntary activity, feel free to review one, two, or all of the three categories. We do ask that you specify which one you are participating and make it clear which one you are criticizing at any time. Generally with some sort of coding or labels. Do not feel as if you need to do all three in one go, post twice/thrice if you wish to do all three this month.

The bonuses will stack accordingly, but we will only honor one Seasonal bonus per three months. (They will follow the seasons: Summer, Winter, Fall, Spring.)

Entries

Short Story
This one looks like it will be a dream to read~!! Let's take this already judged Exemplary story, and see if we have anything more to add!! ring, ring by Albert Wesker.

Novella
Sometimes you just need to make a statement... Orchestrate A Coup if you will. (I changed the title a bit to fit my crappy intro...) Here's some Kakashi and Minato fun. It was also a previously judged: Exemplary. Don't let that intimidate you, however.

Seasonal!
As a reminder, this thread will be available through all of Summer. And it only felt appropriate that we revisit the old Beach Thread Episode

HONORABLE MENTION!!
While I was looking for a Novella, I ran across this gem. Not worth any points, but I am sure you will enjoy this fossil!!
[Image: source.gif]
"Centurion: I'll leave you to your work then Dust. Thanks for chatting!
Me: no problem. stay awesome!
Centurion: It's more of a passive ability"

Hi yes it's me again talking about Wesker's story Ring, ring.

So I'll talk about the pro's of this story first. There were as far as I could tell few errors grammatically and word wise and those were few and far in-between. The tension was there just enough to keep people reading more to see what would happen to Wesker when time ran out. Knowing how Resident evil worked I wasn't surprised to see Albert work in various points of the game into his story but it did make for some fairly iffy points in my opinion with how everything just happened to be in such a place to help Albert escape though that's a minor complaint on my end.

Now for some complaints. I would have liked a bit more trippyness to the thread since it was in the Astral Realm where you could go really nuts with your dreams and what can happen in them, this is my one major complaint. Beyond that everything else was fine in my opinion.
                                            [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10243242]
"While shooting concentrate your mind, gently muttering the spell to the Mini-Hakkero. Aiming at someone you don't like, a magicannon of love will be unleashed!"

CLOSED

Thanks for your critism!! Will be rewarding particiants soon enough~!!

Marisa
We appreciate your participation and here is your reward. Thank you for your critic and I hope the arthors take something from this as well.
21596.59 + 300 = 21896.59