Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring to new host - possible outages

Heads up! At the request of the staff team, I am currently working on getting us moved over to a new host and (separately) a new domain name registrar. This should fix our SSL certificate-related errors and bring us into the new decade, free of random site outages and other weird stuff. The new host is Siteground - feel free to google them if you fancy checking out their credentials.

Due to all of this, there may be some outages or short-term loss of data (i.e., if you post after I take a backup of the database, and then I upload the database from said backup, your post will not appear after the site transfer). Rest assured that anything posted before this post is safe. However, if you wish to guarantee anything you're writing right now, be that roleplays or updates to your character roster, I recommend saving a local copy or using google drive.

Currently I'm planning on doing this over the next few days, possibly early next week. If everything goes smoothly, downtime will be minimal or unnoticeable - but I recommend "budgeting" for a couple of days of downtime while we get these things worked out. There may also be blips regarding your Rest Points and the like as these are dependent on time passed. The Discord will, of course, still be available for you to shitpost in and shelter from this world-shaking event.

Viva 2020!

-Omniculus Maximillion Defecatorus
Curious about me and the characters I play? See the 'Staff' page! See also the rosters for my characters Samus Aran or Enel if you'd like to see examples of well-formatted rosters. Hope you enjoy the Omniverse!

Oh and just to confirm, that I will be putting up a message pre-transfer and everything up to that point should be saved, so please continue posting as usual in the meantime. This is mostly precautionary and to say that at some point in the next few days, that message WILL be coming. Probably right before I start transferring things. So if you're about to post, check that I haven't posted anything here yet.

So like .... be aware, keep copies of your posts, and ideally use a word processor or google docs to write your posts, then copy them into the site postbox. Don't write straight into the reply box, because we've all lost posts that way due to random computer crashes, internet outages, site outages and the like causing that entire block of words to go poof into the nether, never to return. Whereas most word processors, online and offline, regularly autosave so you don't lose stuff.
Curious about me and the characters I play? See the 'Staff' page! See also the rosters for my characters Samus Aran or Enel if you'd like to see examples of well-formatted rosters. Hope you enjoy the Omniverse!

I am initiating the transfer of the domain name (omniverse-rpg.com) to a new registrar. Just a heads up that outages may possibly occur. No database transferring is being done yet.

This part SHOULD just .... work, with no additional work required on my part, and nobody should notice anything, but y'know. Precautions. This process takes a few days, hence me starting it now, and once completed I may have to manually update the nameservers for the site to load. Hence possible downtime.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say, thank you for the heads up.
In battle it is important to keep a sharp blade

But it is by far more important to keep a sharp mind.

The domain transfer that I mentioned as starting the process of above, is happening today (the old domain holder and our current host required 4 days before proceeding) so just a reminder that sometime this evening/tomorrow, outages may occur. This won't affect the database at all so carry on posting as usual.

If everything has gone smoothly, I will then be looking to transfer the site itself to the new host. Expect tuesday or wednesday. I will post when I am starting this.

Aight, domain transfer went off without a hitch. Took longer than expected but according to my emails they finished it a couple hours ago.

Got stuff to do today so the site/database transfer won't be today. Likely, tomorrow. Will keep y'all in the loop.

As we're heading into the weekend and I have plans from tomorrow til monday, I will be leaving the big site switchover til next week so that I'll be around to solve any problems that may arise during this time (and so the site isn't down over the weekend). However I've prepped the files on the new server so there is very little left to do besides transferring the database (which holds all the forum posts, user data etc). It may result in the site being inaccessible for about 24-48 hours.

DATABASE BACKUPS ARE HAPPENING IN 30 MINUTES. If you're posting, here's a heads up.